Clinical Scenario :-
You are working in a community clinic as a registered nurse. Your next patient is Ms xxx ‘xxx’ and her husband Lionel. xxx is 70 years old, and Lionel is 84 years old. Flo is the primary carer for her husband who has physical disabilities due to a stroke and was recently diagnosed with dementia. xxx would normally attend the clinic regularly but you notice in her records she has not presented in nearly 12 months. The last entry on the e Health record is a hospital visit due to a fall last year.
NUR341 Nursing Case Study Assignment 3 – Charles Darwin University Australia
When xxx and Lionel arrive you notice that xxx is limping and they both appear under weight. You also notice xxx and Lionel looking untidy wearing clothes which appear to be dirty which is very unusual for them. You read both xxx and Lionel’s medical file and identify no services are currently linked to them and
xxx is looking after a lot of family in her house.
When you ask xxx what has brought her in xxx tells you she has a wound on her right foot which she has been dressing at home for three months but it is not getting better. xxx tells you she hasn’t seen a doctor
about her foot earlier because it was only a small wound and she didn’t want to trouble anyone. xxx also
stated because she doesn’t drive she is finding it difficult to catch public transport with Lionel. She can’t
leave him at home because he sometimes becomes agitated and upset plus the children are so busy looking after their little ones she doesn’t want to bother them.
Question 1: Aged care services and interdisciplinary care to maintain independence
• Identify TWO (2) aged care services/packages
• Identify TWO (2) interdisciplinary referrals
• Detail the goal or purpose of each of these services/packages/referrals
• Provide a rationale for each service/referral you have selected
• Explain how each service/referral relates to Flo’s presentation
• Explain the impact of Flo’s geographical location may have on accessing these services and inter disciplinary referrals
you can identify services in your local area to help increase your knowledge of services you will be referring to in your local health network.
Question 2: Medication management
The older person is vulnerable to adverse drug events. Examining Flo’s medication history answer the following questions.
• Identify and describe Three (3) factors in the case study which increases the risk of an adverse drug event
• Choose TWO (2) medications and describe:
1. what is the indication for each medication?
2. any potential complications that Flo may experience while taking this medication
• Two 2 nursing actions or health promotion you would implement to minimize adverse drug events.
if a student details more than the requested volume of factor, the marker will address and mark only the prescribed amount as outlined.