Assessment 1: Literature Review
Weighting: 30 marks, or 30 % of the unit grade
Word length: Maximum of 1500 words, excluding references.
Late penalties: Yes. Refer to the unit guide.
ENVS8403 Science In Environmental Management Assessment 1 – AU.
This assessment requires students to independently undertake a review of the literature on an environmental topic, focusing on the present and future challenges for environmental management. It
will build on the Writing Skills Workshop in Week 2.
Some ideas for topics that you might like to consider are:
• Managing water pollution
• Managing soil pollution/contamination
• Managing waste disposal (e.g. landfills)
• Managing remnant vegetation or forests
• Managing the impacts of bush fires
• ……and many others.
There’s some flexibility in the exact topic of your review and whether you focus on the topic more generally or on specific location or site, but you must :
• Focus on the environment and management. For example, a review of the environmental pollution impacts of waste and how these can be managed, is ok. A review of the human health impacts of
waste is off-topic.
• Address the present and future challenges. For example, is the problem likely to get worse or cover a larger area and hence become harder to address?
• Refer to at least 8 relevant peer reviewed scientific papers; and
• Be specific rather general, i.e. avoid vague, waffly text and generalised statements.
Submission and Grading :
Upload your assessment using the Turnitin link in the Assessments Folder. It will be marked using Grade Mark with digital feedback and grading posted on Grade Book within 2-3 weeks of submission. Marks will be allocated based upon the marking criteria set out below. Details on how to access and understand
your results can be found.