Subject Code :- CIVL4003
Title :- Construction Technology 5 Envelope
Assessment Type :- Individual Assignment
Weighting :- 40%
CIVL4003 Construction Technology 5 Envelope Assignment – Australia
Before attempting this assignment please carefully read these notes:
• This assignment must be submitted through Turnitin in Microsoft Word format on vUWS
• For each question, the response MUST be only one page including the question.The fonts size should be between 11 and 13 in Microsoft Word.
• In all questions in addition to your text response you need to include photo(s) and diagram(s) in your answers.
• Those illustrations must be provided by yourself. Diagram(s) and drawings can be either hand-drawn or digitally drawn.
• All diagrams and graphs should be annotated and have footnote.
• It is recommended to answer the questions gradually based on the weekly teaching content and discussions in the tutorials.
• Where you use resources other than Learning Modules they must be referenced in your response page in a standard method, e.g. Harvard method.
• Read the Module Guide pdf files in each Learning Module folder on vUWS.
• Discuss your responses in the tutorials with your tutor, weekly.
• Watch the Paul Geier videos on vUWS, at Learning Modules.
• The Book: Szokolay S.V. (2008), Introduction to Architectural Science: The Basis of Sustainable Design Elsevier Oxford –
This is available as an E-Book through the WSU Library website.
1.Identify an interior space or room in a real building could be your home or workplace that the amount of artificial lighting isn’t enough or appropriate for a certain activity in that space. provide one photo Explain why do you think the artificial lighting isn’t suitable? Provide three solutions to improve the artificial lighting quality and/or quantity. Use explanation and your own-drawn diagram or drawing.
2. Identify an interior space or room in a real building could be your home or workplace that the amount or quality of day light isn’t enough or appropriate in a part of that space for a certain activity. provide one photo Explain why do you think the daylighting isn’t suitable? Provide three solutions to improve the daylighting quality and/or quantity Use explanation and your own-drawn diagram or drawing.
3.Identify the exterior wall of your home that the most heat transmission happens through it in summer or winter provide a photo. Explain why did you select that wall?
Draw a scaled section (1:10) from that wall and introduce materials and their thicknesses per your knowledge and opinion. Calculate the thermal resistance of the wall.
Add a layer of cavity or insulation to the wall so that its thermal resistance will be doubled.
4.Identify one place showing the use of Thermal Mass in your home provide a photo.
Explain how it contributes to passive cooling or heating for your home. Provide a solution to improve its thermal performance. Use explanation and your own-drawn diagram.
5.Identify an interior wall or a floor in your home or workplace that unwanted sound transmission (noise) happens through it (provide a photo). Describe how the sound transmits and provide three appropriate solutions to reduce the noise. Use explanation and your own-drawn diagram.