Short Answer Question for ONPS2431 Molecular Biology & Genetics Assignment
- Discuss sequencing manual and automated sequencing. In your answer explain the structure and function of dideoxynucleotides in Sanger DNA sequencing (4 marks) and include in your discussion the difference between manual and automated sequencing (4 marks)
- Name and describe in your own words the five basic processes that are required to bring about evolutionary change (2 x 5 =10 marks)
- a) The normal function of gene P is to kill cells that show signs of chromosome damage.
Mutant forms of gene P are found to be involved in cancer.
Explain why you think gene P is likely to be either a proto-oncogene or a tumour suppressor gene? (3 mark)
3. b) The normal function of gene M is to signal for cells to divide when the body needs to heal a wound. Mutant forms of gene M have been found to be involved in cancer.
Explain why you think gene M is likely to be a either a proto-oncogene or a tumour suppressor gene? (3 mark)
4. The diagram below shows two species of moth with a variety of speckled colouration on its wings and body. Moth X is light-coloured and Moth Y is dark-coloured. Both populations of Moth X and Moth Y can be found in the same natural habitat. The populations of Moth X and Moth Y were tracked over a period of time. During this period of time an event occurred that changed the population size of moth X and moth Y shown in the graph below.
a. What process is illustrated in the above scenario? (2 mark)
b. What event occurred to change the population size of Moth Y and Moth X ? (2 mark)
c. Based on the information provided, explain in scientific terms how the colouration of the moths affected their population size and allele frequency. (6 marks)
5. Cancer results from a series of molecular events that fundamentally alter the normal properties of cells.
Below are four images that represent cancer progression.
a. Discuss the molecular events that take place to change the normal ‘W’ tissue into the cancerous ‘X’ tissue (6 marks)
b. Explain the process that is occurring at ‘Z’ (4 marks)
Excellent Assignment Help
We Aim At:
- Lowest Price.
- 100% Uniqueness.
- Assignment Fastest Delivery.